Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Deployed Writer and Inspiration

Ok, ok...I know.  I haven't written anything on the blog in months.  I'm deployed!  Isn't that a good enough excuse?

Actually, no, it's not.  I have truly neglected this blog for the simple fact that I have been writing quite a bit.  I have finished the sequel to TIME ASSASSINS, it is called FUTURE HISTORY and should be out this fall. 

But that's not entirely accurate either.  I haven't only been writing.  I've been working, doing my bit for God and Country, playing at being an athlete half my age (playing sports with the younger crowd) and being lazy when I can (watching TV and movies.)   Frankly, it is a miracle I actually did get any writing done.

But, enough about me.  What I really wanted to discuss is inspiration.  Where does a writer get his or her inspiration?  We like to think there is a muse, mine looks a lot like the blind cupid from One Crazy Summer, that follows us around and smacks us in the head every once in a while with a fantastic idea. 

What? Oh?  Sorry.  My muse just informed me that is only me...<shrug>  Who knew?

Anyway, inspiration can come from anywhere: dreams, songs, wild imaginations, a cloud.  My latest came in the form of one vivid flash while I was walking home from work: lasers exploding outside a cockpit window and the pilot yelling, "Enough with the shots across the bow!"   Somehow, I can see a Washburn type pilot (you know, from Firefly) yelling that out of a canopy window.  Well, I took that and starting sketching out the outline to my fourth novel. 

I've heard that many artists, authors, songwriters keep a notepad by their bed or with them at all times.  I can tell you that I do that as well.  I have a notebook full of ideas, dreams, songs, and poems. You never know when your blind-cupid-muse will smack you upside the head and give you the next bestseller, so keep a notebook handy!!

So, what did we learn today?  Well, I have a new book coming out in the fall, I have plenty of free time while sitting overseas, I have a very vivid imagination and a sad sense of humor. 

I hope everyone has a great summer and KEEP WRITING!

No comments:

Post a Comment