Thursday, August 2, 2012

Author Interview

I was fortunate enough to run into author and blogger J. Naomi Ay the other day...she decided to conduct an impromptu interview.  Enjoy!

 

Author Interview: Kyle Hannah

     
Today, I’m sitting with Kyle Hannah in the back of C-130 while Kyle prepares to jump. I’ll just stay here belted in tightly and ask him about his new book Time Assassins.
Naomi: Let’s start with just a brief synopsis of your book. In 20 words or less, tell me what it is about.

Kyle: Consider Time Assassins a cross between Quantum Leap and Time Cop; changing alternate timelines to the history we know today.

Naomi: What? I couldn’t hear any of that with the door open and the wind blowing.

Kyle (now shouting): Consider Time Assassins a cross between Quantum Leap and Time Cop; changing alternate timelines to the history we know today.

Naomi (also now shouting): I’m not going to bother counting that. Let’s just get on with this and get back down to the ground. Who is your favorite character and why? You can use more than 20 words from here on out. Actually, you can use as many words as you want, just make it quick.

Kyle: I think I like my antagonist, Rick Brewer. He is a former Assassin’s Apprentice ,stranded in time, who is, as he would say, tweaking history. To be a part of the history and see the things he sees…yes, I think he is my favorite.

Naomi: Does he jump out of airplanes too? 

Kyle: You’ll have to read the book to find out.

Naomi: If Rick Brewer called you up tomorrow and said, “Hey, let’s go do something.” What and where would you go with them?

Kyle: Anywhere in time and history: the Montgolfier Brothers first balloon flight, Lincoln’s Assassination, the Wright Brothers, JFK…the possibilities are endless.

Naomi: All the other guys I have interviewed usually respond with a football game or the local pub.

Kyle: I’m different.

Naomi: I noticed. What’s the hardest part about writing your book?

Kyle: For Time Assassins, the hardest part was keeping all of the historical facts from sounding like a history book. I enjoyed the research and actually learned a great deal about the events in the book…but keeping all the history entertaining was definitely a challenge. I’ve discovered that a lot of people don’t know history, that was one of the inspirations to writing the book. The “alternate timeline” thing has been done, but I’ve never seen it done where we end up with OUR history. So, if a reader accidently gleans a little history while being entertained, so be it!

Naomi: Actually, that sounds really cool. Heaven knows I have wondered many times how we possibly could have ended in the situation we are in today. What’s the easiest part of writing your book?

Kyle: There was nothing easy about writing this one. There is so much history that it was hard to narrow down a few events to have Rick Brewer tweak. What I was amazed at was how everything fit together in the timeline. I had one idea about the story, but Brewer’s influence changed it and it worked out so much better than I had planned!

Naomi: If you had to pick one object to represent your story and one color to paint it in, what would it be and why?A purple octopus?An orange hula hoop?

Kyle: The time skip that the characters travel through is an opaque white bubble. That would be the best object and color to describe the time teleport.

Naomi: Do you do anything else besides write and jump out of airplanes and if so what is it?

Kyle: Unfortunately, I don’t make my living sitting at home typing. I’m an Army Officer with over 26 years of service.

Naomi: Bless you and thank you for your service. What’s the ugliest thing in your closet and don’t say all those uniforms. I happen to think men in fatigues and combat boots are exceptionally hot.

Kyle: The mess, LOL. I have so much military stuff in my closet that I can’t keep it clean.

Naomi: What’s in the bottom of your purse, backpack, attaché or whatever you carry?

Kyle: Usually workout clothes. I have to be in fairly good shape to stay in the Army, so I usually have a change of clothes with me. And my iPad…you never know when inspiration my strike!

Naomi: Ah, me too. IPad goes where ever I do. How did we live without them? Name one character in your story that is based on a real person and tell us who it is and how they are similar.

Kyle: Time Assassins is a fictional account of history, so there are plenty of real people in this: Kings, Presidents, Political figures…something for everyone.

Naomi: What’s your favorite game? Would your favorite character play it and be any good at it?

Kyle: I like baseball, football, and volleyball. I think Brewer would play football but only if he could be Quarterback. His type A personality would definitely put him in the driver’s seat.

Naomi: You’re not saying that now because I dinged you on the ‘where would you go’ question?

Kyle: Maybe.

Naomi: Did you ever wonder if you were a little crazy for writing fantasy/fiction?

Kyle: I’m a paratrooper, so I already know I’m crazy, LOL. I enjoy new worlds, aliens, and a good story…so why not write what you like? Its definitely something that not everyone does, but I am constantly amazed at how many aspiring authors are out there. Yeah, I’m a little crazy, but it helps!

Naomi: I was going to point out that bit about being crazy and jumping out of airplanes but you did that yourself. Did your friends ever wonder the same thing? 

Kyle: I’ll admit, I’ve had moments when people look at me and ask, “You wrote a book?” and I was a little taken aback by their astonishment. But, its something I like to do, and as long as people enjoy my efforts, I’ll keep doing it!

Naomi: And then they jumped out that door into the wild blue yonder. While they sailed at 800 ft above ground level, hoping and praying that their small piece of nylon would open and save them from certain death, they thought how crazy you were for having written a book. When you wrote your book, who was the first person you told and how did they respond?

Kyle: My wife is very supportive of my efforts, as are my kids. They are kept in the know, as it were, on the story and progress. I write my books so that my kids can read them – clean language, etc. My wife and my oldest son both read my first novel, TO AID AND PROTECT. I think its very much on the young reader level because my son really enjoyed it (it had lots of explosions and such).

Naomi: That’s wonderful. My kids all think I am lame, totally and completely lame. You’ve got something else you’d like to say before you bolt out that door too?

Kyle: TIME ASSASSINS is my second novel and will be released this fall from Dark Dragon Publishing. It will be available from amazon, barnes and noble, and other major retailers. I hope you enjoy. Bye!

Naomi: Bye! Watch out below! While Kyle makes his way back to planet Earth, you can find him and Time Assassins online at the links below.

Twitter @rkhannah

Facebook www.facebook.com/RKyleHannahWriter

Website www.rkylehannah.com

email rkylehannah@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment